Small Business & Supplier Diversity (SBSD) is an important function of administrative management at the institution. We provide support to departments and academic units regarding the use of small and diverse (Women, Minority, Veteran, Service-disabled, Hub Zone and Disadvantaged) businesses. In addition, we establish and implement programs and services designed to promote procurement opportunities for small and diverse businesses. This department works closely with Procurement, Planning, Design & Construction, Disbursements and Facilities Services.
This Chapter establishes uniform procedures relating to the utilization of small & diverse businesses in the purchase of commodities and services needed in the operation of the University. The procedures stated herein shall apply to all purchases of commodities and services paid from state appropriations, grants, or auxiliaries.
Our mission is to seek out, identify, and promote the use of small & diverse businesses that provide services and/or commodities procured by the institution. We ensure equal access to compete for procurement & contracting opportunities with the University. In addition, we offer small business development services to support a competent pool of suppliers to address the University’s procurement expectations.
RESPONBILITY AND AUTHORITY
The Director of Small Business & Supplier Diversity reports to the Assistant Vice President for Business Services, and is responsible for program development, promotion, implementation, compliance monitoring, and reporting. The Director works closely with university departments and academic units, small & diverse businesses, governmental entities, and community-based organizations toward the diversification of the University’s supplier base.
BID REVIEW AND BIDDING
- The Director of Small Business & Supplier Diversity reviews all procurement activities in excess of $75,000 prior to vendor solicitation. During this bid review, the Director supplements the vendor lists with applicable interested vendors. The Director works with Procurement to ensure timely reviews.
- Purchases greater with a dollar value up to $75,000 shall be made in accordance with the University’s Purchasing regulations see 6C1-3.0
- Under the University’s Purchasing regulation, informal bids or quotes from at least two (2) vendors are solicited, the University encourages staff to obtain quotes from a variety of vendors, including Small / Women / Minority Business Enterprises.
- UF, Statewide, and Federal Small Business Directories, which includes women and minority owned businesses, are available to University departments and academic units upon request by contacting the Division at (352) 392-1331, ext. 501.
CONSTRUCTION – COMPETITIVE BIDS
Bidders on construction projects are encouraged to include small & diverse business enterprises on their projects. The University is an equal opportunity institution and as such, encourages the use of small businesses, including (women, minority, veteran, service-disabled veteran, hub zone and disadvantaged) in the provision of such services. These firms should have a fair and equal opportunity to compete for dollars spent by the University on construction. Competition ensures that prices are competitive and a broad vendor base is available.
- COMPETITIVE SEALED CONSTRUCTION BIDS
The Director monitors small businesses, including Women and Minority Business Enterprise, and Small Disadvantaged Business, participation at the time of Partial and Final Payments to the Contractor (Bidder), through a review of the Contractor’s Small / Women / Minority Business Enterprise Status Report of Partial and Final Payments Form. This form shall accompany the Contractor’s partial and final payment requests, and will identify the total amount of payments made to each S/W/MBE subcontractors, suppliers and/or vendors.
- CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT CONTRACTS
The Director monitors the S / W/ MBE Participation at each request for payment through a review of the Contractor’s Small Business, including Women and Minority Business Enterprise Participation Schedule of Contract Values Form. This form shall accompany the Construction Manager’s payment requests, and will identify the total amount paid to each S / W /MBE firm, and the unpaid balance.
- CAMPUS SERVICE CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT CONTRACTS
The Director works with the UF Facilities areas to identify potential contracts to be competed among small businesses to help equalize the ability of firms to compete for opportunities at UF and increase participation by small businesses. One of the means, of achieving this, is through the reserving of contracts for competing among small businesses.
- JOINT VENTURES
The Director monitors the S/ W/ MBE Participation during and/or at the end of each project through a review of the Campus Service Construction Manager’s Small / Women / Minority Business Enterprise Payment Status Report Form. This form shall accompany the Construction Manager’s Partial and Final Payment Requests, and will identify the total amount paid to each S/ W/ MBE firm for that project.
Connect on Facebook & Twitter